For assignment two I have chosen to animate Vytautas Magnus (a.k.a. Vytautas the Great). He was a high duke in XV century Lithuania. In his ruling Lithuania was one of the biggest countries in medieval Europe. A country expanded from Baltic to Black sea.
I really love this historical figure because he has a very interesting personality. He was an excellent tactitian, very strict, but kind, sneaky, but truthful to Lithuanian people.
To understand the plot of this project I would like to retell a little bit of historical facts which I chose to mention in my animation.
1. The Battle of Grunwald. This battle took place in 1410, 15th of July, medieval Prussia, today’s Poland. Opposing forces: Teutonic Order versus Kingdom of Poland and Grand Duchy of Lithuania alliance. Teutonic Order’s leader was Ulrich von Jungingen while Polish forces were commanded by their king Władysław II Jagiełło (also known as Jogaila) and Lithuanian forces by Vytautas Magnus. Union of Kingdom of Poland and Grand Duchy of Lithuania won. After this battle Teutonic Order NEVER regained it’s power.
2. Although Vytautas Magnus defeated Teutonic Order, he did not cut relations with it. Letters proves that Vytautas Magnus and Teutonic Order grandmaster shared same passion for midgets, jokers and musicians. It was a sign of prestige in medieval Europe.
3. Other important personas that I want to at least briefly show would be wife of Jogaila Jadwiga of Poland and Vytautas wife Grand Duchess Anna.
Reference pictures for side characters:
To design my take on this historical figure I used these pictures:
At first I cut it into basic shapes and drew until I found a desired structure.
And here is the result I came up with:
The Olympic challenge I have given for Vytautas is discus throw. I wanted to choose penthathlon, but I figured that discus throw will work better.
Some reference videos for discus throw.
I also took a video of myself as a reference for walk cycle, background cheering poses, possible other poses.
A model of discus throw stadium:
Wide shot of stadium:
Sound design ideas
List of sounds which I will need:
1. Metallic sound of armour clinging for walk cycle. I am thinking of recording rhythmically shaking a toolbox full of metal objects.
2. Heartbeat and heavy breathing. I am planning to put these sounds in close ups to give an illusion of being next to the character.
3. Whoosh sounds for the cape.
4. Cheering crowd sounds and slow clapping steadily increasing.
5. A commentator speaking. Explaining a situation. Vytautas Magnus throwing a discus after his rival Ulrich von Jungingen.
6. Object sinking into earth. For discus.
7. High pitch sound of water boiling for flying discus.
8. Melodic dramatic background by Brian Tyler from a movie Thor.
Storyboard in TV paint
Script for a commentator:
“And right now a contestant from Lithuania, Vytautas Magnus is going to throw a discus after his rival Ulrich von Jungingen”